It was a great evening with an interesting speaker, good food and excellent company!
Hope you were there, if not, watch for our next events (see the NMEA Conference March 9-13th, and Communicating Ocean Science Workshop, June 4th and 5th in Hilo, and MOP party in August - noted below).
Meeting minutes follow - thanks to Joanna Philippoff.
OCEANIA Yearly Membership Meeting
Feb. 9th, 2011 6:30-7:30pm
Talk: Dr. James B. Wood, New associate director of Waikiki Aquarium, Cephalopods
Introductions and Acknowledgements
Facebook, Blog (maintained by Mark Heckman) integration in future
· NMEAOCEANIA.blogspot.com (link will be sent out via email)
OCEANIA meetings and Get-togethers
· Annual membership meeting.
· Conference in association with HASTA, Oahu, Fall 2011
o Need help! Particularly with agenda (speakers), food, and activities
· Board – quarterly meetings
· 2 PD Field Trips for members (often in association with other events)
o Oahu options: Fishpond (planned, but never taken), Polynesia Voyaging Society (ride in canoe)
NMEA Board Meeting & Share-A-Thon at NSTA March 9-13th, 2011
· Board Meeting – issues to discuss? Email/Call Kanesa
· Nominate people for awards
o Outstanding teacher
o Outstanding marine educator
o $500 to attend NMEA national conference in Boston this year (end July, early July)
· Share-A-Thon – “Make and Take” Activities/Lessons/Materials to share or give (poster, bookmark, etc. (vs. brochures))
o Needed by Feb. 23, 2011, Shipped to Kanesa by March 5th, 2011
Communicating Ocean Sciences Workshop – Big Island (Hilo)
· June 4th and 5th, 2011
· Participant Recruitment – Contact ideas?
o ½ attendees on Big Island, ½ on other islands
· Traditional Ecological Knowledge Focus
· OCEANIA Field trip in conjunction with COS (Friday before or Monday after):
o Field Trip Committee: Miki, Jay, (Jeff – “help”),
§ Option: Kapono Tidepools
§ Mark – has outreach grant to travel to neighbor islands, needs to use before Sept., combine with COS?
Dr. Cindy Hunter – UHM Marine Option Program (MOP) – update on Blue Water Marine Lab
· MOP turns 40 this year! Aug. 20th party